Annual Chapbook Contest
We seek cohesive manuscripts. We are especially interested in work that challenges genre/formal conventions. Visual poems, digital works and interdisciplinary approaches are welcome.
Reading period: May 1–June 30, 2022
Submissions close at 12am EST.
Contest will be judged by the editors.
Winner and finalists will be announced by September 1.
We reserve the right to extend the deadline if a manuscript is not selected from the original reading period.
Reading fee: This contest has a sliding scale reading fee of $0–$20. As a small journal and press, our reading fees fund things like printing and web hosting. Your choice of fee has no bearing on our decision-making process. Please choose whatever fee makes sense for you.
Winner receives: 15 copies of the manuscript and $250.
- Manuscripts should be chapbook-length. Aim for something between 16 and 44 pages. If your work falls slightly outside of this range, it’s all right—please use your best judgment.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please inform us immediately and withdraw your submission if the work is accepted elsewhere.
- No edits to the manuscript are allowed during the reading period. The winning manuscript(s) may be edited in conversation with the editorial staff during the publication process.
- Collaborative manuscripts are allowed. In the event that a collaborative manuscript is selected for publication, each author will receive 10 copies.
- Multiple submissions are fine if submitted separately with a reading fee for each.
- Images and visual poems are permitted and welcomed.
- You may include an acknowledgements page that lists previous publications, but this is not required.
- Manuscript excerpts may have been previously published. However, the chapbook manuscript as a whole should be previously unpublished.
- This contest will not be judged anonymously.
- We will notify all entrants of our decision before we publicly announce the winner and finalists.
We may choose to publish additional manuscripts as "Editor's Choice" selections. In the event of Editor's Choice selections, we will still announce a short list of Finalists.