Ghost: a shadow on the sleeve of your sweater; a rhythm returning from lifetimes before; the meandering suggestion of a river on an ancient, yellowed map.
Journal submissions are open January 1 – April 1 (summer issue) and July 1 – October 1 (winter issue).
Our annual chapbook contest is open for submissions from May 1 – July 31 (fall publication).
We publish poetry, essays, images, multimedia, hybrid, cross-, multi-, and post-genre work. We are interested in work that does not sit comfortably inside genre labels—work that bends or pushes against traditional limitations; that mixes, blends, and steps outside of the normal bounds.The best way to understand what we're looking for is to read our Special Feature: Hybrid Forms & the Post-Genre Approach.
Submissions are open July-October and January-April. We publish poetry, essays, images, multimedia, hybrid, cross-, multi-, and post-genre work annually in December and June. We also hold an annual summer chapbook contest judged by the editorial board.
Current Reading Period: Jugly 1 - October 1, 2018
We are interested in work that does not sit comfortably inside genre labels—work that bends or pushes against traditional limitations; that mixes, blends, and steps outside of the normal bounds.
The best way to understand what we're looking for is to read our Special Feature: Hybrid Forms & the Post-Genre Approach.
- Submit your work as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf file and title the document with your name.
- You may submit 3-5 shorter pieces or 1 longer piece, max. length 15 pages. Include all pieces in one document.
- For visual work, title the file with your name and upload as a .jpg or .pdf. For video pieces, attach a link and/or embed code.
- If your submission does not fit into the categorical boundaries of "word" or "image" and there's no way to put it through Submittable, query us. We'd like to experiment with you.
- Attach a brief cover letter including a bio.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine; we ask that you let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- If you have already been published by us, please wait one year before submitting again to a regular issue.
- We acquire first rights (which revert back to you upon publication) and request acknowledgement in subsequent publications.
In this ongoing feature on our blog, we invite writers and artists to take us into their own isolated moments of seeing/being. Send in a photograph, video, or sound clip of the image, song, or moment accompanied by a piece of writing – of any length, in any style or form – that brings us into your moment of awareness. Perhaps it is an old box filled with a meaningful collection; a particular moment of light hitting a brick wall; found text on the sidewalk; a compelling configuration of trees. ‘Frame’ it for us; show us what you see.
We offer chapbook and full-length manuscript consultations with Editor-in-Chief Naomi Washer and Managing Editor Patrick Thornton.
A consultation with the editors does not guarantee publication with Ghost Proposal or with another press. What we do guarantee is that your manuscript will receive time, care, and thoughtful attention. We intend to develop a dialogue and provide substantial feedback centering on your goals and vision for the manuscript.
As this service is not affiliated with publication through Ghost Proposal, manuscripts for consultation do not need to align with the GP aesthetic.
Payment is due in full upon mutual agreement of consultation.
Send payments to: paypal.me/GPmanuscriptconsult